With a background in counselling and a degree in Child and Youth Care at The University of
Victoria, I have spent my entire career and most of my life surrounded by, working with, and
supporting women children and families. It is no surprise that I have ended up here: a DONA
International trained birth doula, a certified Sacred Pregnancy Instructor, and a certified
Postpartum Mother Roaster – a path which I feel strongly, is my calling.
The most impact-full experiences of my life to lead me here were the births of both my sons. I
was lucky to have a midwife for both births and a wonderful doula for my last, which helped
give me and my husband the confidence to have the homebirth we wanted.I feel truly blessed Sarah Dexter
to be able to call this my heart-work and am always honoured to have the opportunity to witness 778-886-5980
a mother walk her path. Pregnancy, birth, and the postpartum time are all unique experiences
that can each benefit from unique forms of support.
I believe that birth is a natural process and that women have the power, strength, and intuitive wisdom necessary to birth their babies. I also believe in the powerful idea of gathering a sisterhood and employing a village to help guide you on your way through this transformational time. I have seen first hand how much of a positive impact these supports can have, not just during pregnancy and birth, but throughout a woman’s life. Whether you are a first time mom, or a veteran mom, my goal is to provide the resources, care, and support you and your partner (if applicable) need, to be able to navigate through whatever comes your way. Every birth is sacred, unique, and exquisite no matter what, and I am truly honoured to be a part of it!
I am based in the quiet little town of Tsawwassen BC, where myself, my husband Andy, and two boys Jack and Eli, happily squish our feet in the sand. I serve women and families in Delta, Surrey, Whiterock, Richmond, and Vancouver. Talk to me more about services outside these areas.
Begin your birthing journey from a place of confidence; in your body, in your partner, and in your baby. Feel supported, cared for, listened to. Know your options and choose without fear of judgement.
As a birth doula, I accompany women in labor to help ensure a safe and satisfying birth experience. I draw on my professional training, knowledge, and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort, and (as needed) communication with the staff to make sure that you have the information you need to make informed decisions as they arise in labor. I can provide reassurance and perspective to you and your partner, make suggestions for labor progress, and help with relaxation, massage, positioning, and other techniques for comfort.
I am your advocate but I do not speak for you. I am independent and self-employed. As your doula, I am working for you, not your caregiver or hospital. My role can play out in a variety of different ways depending on the type of support that is needed. I will follow your lead and carefully sense when you require space and privacy.
Fee: Please contact Sarah for her rates.
Doula Support Includes:
Two Prenatal Visits
Phone and Email Support
Two Weeks on-call prior to your estimated due date
Labour and Birth Support
1) Prenatal Visits are an important part of my support to you as your Doula. They are not intended to replace prenatal classes, but incorporate birth education elements. We will discuss and come up with your birth vision, which you can share with anyone who will be invited to your birth, as a way to communicate your preferences and wishes. This time will also be used to learn about and practice various comfort measures that can be used during labour. If you have a partner who intends to play a large support role in your birth, learning these comfort techniques in a hands on environment will be very valuable. You will have access to a TENS machine during your labour at no extra cost.
Prenatal visits are also a great chance for us all to get to know one another on a deeper level and continue our initial connection leading up to the birth.
If you have attended my Birth Journey Prenatal Classes, you might choose to forego one of your prenatal visits in exchange for an extra postpartum visit. Some clients enjoy this option because we have already spent so much time learning together during the classes.
2) Phone and Email Support is encouraged as soon as our agreement for service has been made. I enjoy getting updates about the progression of your pregnancy and getting questions and texts throughout our time together is expected.
3) I will remain on-call for your birth beginning at the 38th week of your pregnancy (two weeks prior to your estimated due date) and until your baby is born. During this time I will not schedule any commitments that cannot be missed. Of course, sometimes life happens. If for some reason I cannot attend your birth, I will provide experienced and trusted backup that shares my philosophy of birth, to ensure that you have a doula in attendance. If you would like to meet one of the back up doulas I use, that can definitely be arranged!
4) I will be by your side during your labour and birth as soon as you feel you require my support and will remain with you for approximately 2 hours after the baby is born to ensure you are settling in ok and to provide breastfeeding support if needed.
5) A few days following the birth we will schedule a postpartum visit. I will come to you, provide breastfeeding support if needed, go over the timeline of the birth if you have questions or gaps that need filled, and discuss your experience and my role as your doula.
I also provide other postpartum supports as an add on to my doula services.
I can’t think of a bigger privilege than bearing witness to a woman crossing that threshold to motherhood. Giving birth to a child is such a remarkably profound experience, which deserves careful thought into who you decide to share it with. My wish for you is to choose a doula that is the right fit for you and the birth you envision. Please feel free to contact me for a free consultation to see if we are a good match!
Find other Doulas http://www.bcdoulas.org/